DCRdesign Online Studio and Gallery

Infiniti Crow has been designed to announce new artwork and greeting cards by Diana Campbell-Rice.

As the blog grows, we will introduce new aspects, such as a newsletter, events, exhibits and links to interesting art and education.



Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Acrylics -- how to keep the paint wet and a great class for beginners.

Acrylic Painting -- you learn to move with it
Muse 1 and Muse 2, acrylic and pen, 3x3", Diana Campbell Rice

Talk about a whole new art experience.  I am taking an acrylics painting class and it has taken me out of my comfort zone in a big way.  My forte has been painting in watercolor with a little foray into oils.  Acrylic-based painting is an animal of a different color.  Here is a set of four small painting I recently completed.

Acrylic-based paints are a hugely versatile medium and can be applied to any oil and wax free surface. For an artist, it means acrylics can be used for almost any purpose -- painting on pottery, clothing, wood, glass, in addition to canvas or paper.

To put it simply, acrylic paint is fabulous. . . but unlike oil paints, acrylics dry very quickly. As I learned, ff you’re not careful you can end up destroying brushes and wasting paint.

Muse-touched 1 and Muse-Touched 2,
acrylic, 3x3", Diana Campbell Rice
The secret is to keep the brushes in water until you can thoroughly clean them -- do not let the paint dry on them or any reason.  And, I recommend cleaning your brushes after each painting session.

Oh, and what about wasted paint -- it will dry right on your palette.  Here is a link to a great article on paint-saving tips -- or how to keep your acrylic paints wet on the palette.  I have used these tips and can tell you -- they work.  http://emptyeasel.com/2009/08/11/how-to-keep-your-acrylic-paints-wet-on-the-palette/

Also, I am providing a link to the class I am taking at The Foundry.  The class is taught by artist, Linda Osburn.  She is an amazing teacher -- supportive with beginners; answers all your questions and nurtures individual expression.  You can contact The Foundry directly for information on this and future classes.  
http://www.facebook.com/dianacampbellrice#!/event.php?eid=166571410050917

I can say I am on my way to becoming an acrylic artist.  Man!

Cheers,
DCR 

No comments:

Post a Comment